Document management systems are electronic filing cabinets that provide a framework for organizing all digital and paper documents.
These systems work in tandem with scanners, which convert paper documents into digital versions.
For an organization to flourish, information has to continue to flow the right people, and it needs to get to them at the right time. When relying on manual and paper based processes for managing documents, information gets misplaced or is delayed in reaching the right hands.
Through sophisticated search engines, document management systems allow for quick access to any document or file.
The functions you can use these systems for include:
- Storing various document types, including word-processing files, emails, PDFs and spreadsheets
- Searching an entire library of files by individual keyword
- Restricting access to certain documents
- Monitoring who is viewing documents and when
- Tracking edits being made to documents
- Retrieving previous versions of edited documents
- Controlling and regulating when out-of-date documents can be deleted
- Accessing, editing and sharing documents via mobile devices
The best part is, getting started is easy. Even though the right document management solution works enterprise-wide, it is often best to start in a single department – usually the one that need the most help. This allows you to build a foundation for your solution to build on. Eventually you can expand to other departments. All the while you’ll be able to add functionality as you see fit, such as adding workflow to automate the routing of documents and information directly into the laps of those who need it.
In the end, every organization creates their own path when building their document management system, but the right solution will give you all the options you need to find success.